Decay or damage to the outer surface of the tooth or enamel caused by the bacterial formation in your mouth is downright concerning. With time, tooth decay results in dental caries (cavities) – the permanent holes in your teeth. There’s no restriction of age means anyone can develop such a dental problem.
Lack of day-to-day oral care allows bacteria to build inside your mouth. At the same time, enjoying excessive sugary foods and drinks significantly affects dental health. Get expert guidance by seeing your dentist at the best dental clinic in Siliguri. Ignoring the importance of oral health can bring tones of health completions to your health over time.
Diagnosis & Medical Care for Tooth Decay
Causes and Symptoms of tooth decay
Depending on how severe your condition is and the location of the cavity, you may develop the following signs:
- Bad breath
- Mouth pain/toothache
- Bleeding gums
- Noticeable holes in your teeth
- Pain while biting
- Tooth sensitivity
- Facial swelling
Initially, you may not notice symptoms that become prominent as the decay progresses. Make sure that you consult your dentist if you keep experiencing such discomfort without improvement.
Reasons behind tooth decay can be:
- Consuming foods containing too much sugar, starch content
- Sipping drinks high in sugar
- Not cleaning mouth after snacking
Let’s have a closer look at the possible risk factors for tooth decay:
- Family history of tooth decay
- Medications such as antidepressants
- Receding gums
- Location of the tooth, especially back teeth are vulnerable to tooth decay
- Too much consumption of ice cream, milk, soda, honey, chips, candy, cookies, and cake can cause tooth decay
- Dry mouth
- GERD (gastroesophageal reflux)
Diagnosis & Medical Care for tooth decay
Different measures help diagnose tooth decay that includes:
- Physical exam
- Reviewing current symptoms
- Dental X-rays
If you’ve been diagnosed with cavities or tooth decay, your treatment procedures may involve:
- Fluoride treatment so as to protect your enamel in the early stage.
- Dental fillings consist of gold, silver, or composite resin to fill the damaged part of your tooth.
- Tooth extraction aims at removing a decayed tooth under local or intravenous anaesthesia.
- A root canal is executed by a dentist in order to repair a decayed tooth/ teeth.
- Dental crowns help restore and cover the badly impacted tooth.
Besides dental procedures, keeping good oral hygiene is key to your overall oral health. Remember, oral health complications may contribute to other health conditions as well, like – cardiovascular problems, pneumonia, infection of the inner lining of the heart. Get in touch with the best dentist in Siliguri by making an appointment online.
To protect your dental and oral health - do not skip brushing twice a day, use a soft toothbrush, brush your teeth gently without rushing, limit sugary foods, drinks, avoid tobacco consumption. Finally, yet importantly, a dentist consultation is a must.