Yes, your child can be at risk of gum disease. But preventing that is no big task. Children are more likely to have a mild gum infection known as gingivitis. Bacterial buildup on the teeth is responsible for causing such a condition in your kid. Read on to get further insight into the topic.
This accumulation irritates the gum, causing redness, swelling, sensitivity, foul smell, loose teeth, and other concerns. In case gingivitis remains unnoticed can lead to periodontitis, an advanced form of gum inflammation. Wise to look after kids’ oral care routine every day. Get expert assistance for kids dental treatment in Siliguri.
What Leads to Gum Disease In Children?
The cause of gum disease is when bad bacteria, sugar deposits, and food debris accumulate on the teeth and gums, forming plaque. Over time, dental plaque develops into tartar, the calcified deposits. However, children catch gingivitis, usually.
There can be a number of risks but you can prevent that with healthy oral practices. Below are contributing factors for gum disease in children:
- Certain foods tend to stick to teeth and gums
- Often consumption of sticky, spicy, sugary food items
- Inadequate brushing/poor oral hygiene
- Autoimmune disease, diabetes
- Having a low nutrition-rich diet
- Mouth breathing
- Teeth grinding frequently
- Tobacco products
- Hormonal shifts during puberty
- Family history of gum disease
- Certain genes
Signs and Symptoms Not to Overlook
Such inflammation in gums is not painful, generally. The following are significant signs of gum disease:
- Swollen/puffy gums
- Bleeding gums, especially after brushing
- Tender, red gums
- Foul smell/bad breath that persists
- Tooth sensitivity to cold, hot, sweet
- Receding gums
- Loose teeth
- Presence of pus between your kid’s gums and teeth
If you notice any of these signs, or your kid complains about tooth discomforts, do not ignore the signs. Home remedies at times help. But for infants, best you consult a health care provider. Random home remedies may accelerate the inflammation.
Ways to Prevent Gum Disease in Children
Good oral care habits are key to gum and teeth fitness. There’re simple regimes available in order to keep gums healthy from the inside. Therefore, the risk of gum disease reduces.
Follow these tips given below:
- Guide your children to brush their teeth properly
- Focus on two-time brushing
- Gentle brushing should be there; no rush
- Use cotton cloth dipped in water to clean the teeth and gum of your infant; do it gently
- Give your child fiber-rich/healthy food choices
- Ensure a soft-bristled toothbrush made for kids
- See your child a dentist every year
- Using mouth wash is not necessary; get expert advice
Diagnosis of gum disease may revolve around a physical examination and dental X-ray, including a CT scan (if required). These procedures aid in determining the extension of the inflammation. Reach out to the best dental clinic in Siliguri to treat dental conditions in children.
Dental procedures depend on the stage of gum disease and the age of your child. Antibiotics help fight bacterial infections. Other treatment options can be a root canal, gingival grafting, or surgery (if the condition is severe). The doctor provides compact guidance on oral care for kids.